I Am Me, and I Am Good 'cuz God Don't Make Junk!

Controlled Chaos: Living life one day at a time with a disabled husband, five special needs kids, 2 crazy cats, and one neurotic dog.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Second-Hand Rose

On the outside, I'm a second-hand Rose. Almost everything I have has been owned by someone else first. Most of my furniture was given to us (big surprise there!!) My clothes were almost all bought at Goodwill or garage sales. Since I'm a crafter, I love to turn trash into treasures. My three favorite words are Citywide Garage Sales. Okay, city wide is two words, but you get the picture. Even my two cats and my dog were given to me by their previous owners. So, I guess when you look at it, I was destined to adopt. Four of my five kids were somebody else's first.

Some people might turn up their nose at the thought of having everything "used." I prefer to think of it as "double loved." For some things, this won't be their last stop, but I can guarantee one thing, while they are here, they will be loved. I'm not saying my kids are things, and this is most definately their last stop, until we kick them out at age 18, but I am saying that birth or adopted, my kids are loved. I once had a good friend tell me that she didn't believe that if my house was on fire, I would save my adopted kids before my biological son. I was agast!! I told her that after my Christmas decorations (just kidding, Mom!) I would save all of my kids or die trying. I often forget that they are adopted. HONEST!! Those little critters have wiggled themselves into my heart so deep, my life is meaningless without all of them. Like most of the items I have aquired second-hand, my kids have some flaws, stains, rips, tears, and are worn around the edges. Some of these traits are not desirable, but eventually, they will give them the charecter that eventually endures them even more permanently to my heart.

So, as I struggle to get B diagnosed so we can get her the help she needs, morn the fact that D will never talk, cuss under my breath because C and A have destroyed a favorite (most likely second-hand) item, and pull my hair out because E has once again lied about having homework, and failed yet another subject, I take a deep breath and picture them all as the treasures they are and the "diamonds" they have yet to become. Now, to use all of this optimisim on the Hubby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment