I Am Me, and I Am Good 'cuz God Don't Make Junk!

Controlled Chaos: Living life one day at a time with a disabled husband, five special needs kids, 2 crazy cats, and one neurotic dog.

Monday, May 31, 2010

"Cuz Ya Had a RAD Day"

Three day weekends are horrible in this house. We're still in the early stages of healing, and my patience is not what it used to be. I do not look forward to summer vacation! Most of my frustration is because I get no breaks from the kids during the day. They are experts at wearing me down. By bedtime, I'm at wit's end, the kids are out of control, the house is a mess, and my husband can't understand why I'm so worn out because I didn't do anything all day. I had thoughts of impaling myself on a claw hammer, but I'd be the one who had to clean up the blood.

Unfortunately, this was the weekend for projects that couldn't wait. Several years ago, we had a squirrel living in our attic (and I thought it was bats in my belfry!!) He chewed through all of the wires for the upstairs rooms. We had to have that fixed before they can insulate the attic. They gave us a week to get it done or no insulation. We also needed our front door replaced, and yesterday was the only day our "expert" had free. We got a hottub for labor on a brake job my husband did, so of course, we had to set that up. The lawn had to be mowed and the usual jobs needed to be completed. There goes family time.

Today, I asked the kids what they wanted to do this summer. They had some great ideas. Along with the usual swimming and picnics, the suggested crafting, reading a big book (Chronicals of Narnia) together, Princess in the Park Day, Pizza Parties, Laff-o-lympics, ballgames, fishing, and lots of other ideas. Wednesdays have been designated "Family Day." No chores, with the exception of cooking and dishes. We do only family friendly activites, and Dad joins us when he gets home from work. We've got the ideas. Now for the follow-through.

The mouthing off has gotten better for our oldest daughter, but the next one has picked it up with a vengence. Her favorite is, "I'm not talking to you." Whoa, there's a button to push!! It's all I can do not to slap her fresh, little mouth. Forget counting to ten. I'm pushing 1000 before I calm down. Of course, there's always another behavior accompanying this, like sticking her tongue out, bobbing the head in a "I am in charge" kinda way, or my personal favorite, shoving the person she IS taking to out of the room so she can control them in private. Did I mention, this child is five? Then there's the wetting of the pants whenever she is mad. She also taught this one to her younger sister, who had 4 outfit changes today. They get to clean their own mess up, but when they're 5 and 3, I might as well do it myself. And the biggest "button" of all, her favorite word is "retard." Since we have a child with disabilities, this is an especially sore subject with my husband and me. I have chosen to ignore it, but my husband has chosen a more "vocal" approach. She loves the attention and it has gotten worse. All five, (six if you count my husband) of the kids were seeking their "mommy time" this weekend. Guess I just need to pick myself up, dust myself off, and start anew tomorrow. It's time for some chocolate in the hottub!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment